Fitness World’s first and foremost priority is protecting the health and safety of our employees and members. To accomplish this, masks are required in the following areas: entries & exits, front desk, walkways, changeroom/washroom or in any area where physical distancing (two meters) cannot be maintained.
Subject to appropriate physical distancing, masks may be removed to perform an exercise in the cardio area, fitness classroom and weight room. Nevertheless, we encourage and recommend you wear a mask while exercising.
Please be respectful to employees and members and speak with the General Manager if you have a concern about this policy or have any health issues that may require accommodation.
Individuals who enters the club must complete a pre-screening questionnaire at the Front Desk. If they answer YES to any of the below questions they will be asked to leave and not return for 14 days.
- Have you been feeling sick in the past 14 days? This includes: cough, chills, fever; difficulty breathing, headache, weakness; and/or loss of appetite, smell or taste, etc.
- Have you provided care or have close contact with a person with COVID-19 (confirmed or probable) while they were ill?
- Have you tested positive or are waiting test results for COVID-19? Or have you been instructed to isolate for 14 days?
- Have you travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days?
Employees are reminded to complete the Employee COVID-19 Self Assessment Tool before each shift: Weblink: https://form.jotform.com/kmuir/EECOVID19
Employee Sick Policy & Procedure
Employees will be provided an Employee Sick Policy & Procedure they must electronically acknowledge via a weblink. Employees will be supported if they feel sick and/or must self-isolate as a result of an exposure and/or potential exposure to COVID-19. This includes encouraging employees to stay home, ensuring they’ll return to their regularly scheduled shifts and providing them the documentation and resources to apply for financial assistance. If an employee answers yes to any of the pre-screening questions before their shift they must:
- Not enter or leave the club immediately and go home
- Call the General Manager and advise they answered yes to a pre screening-question
- Provide the General Manager the names of employees they’ve had close contact with
- Call Coastal Health to discuss their exposure or potential exposure (Health Link: 811)
- Adhere to the guidance of Coastal Health
- Apply for Employment Insurance via Service Canada
- Return to work when safe to do so as per Coastal Health
- Call the General Manager to arrange the return to work schedule
Note: If employees test positive for COVID-19 the General Manager will contact the employees they’ve had close contact with and advise of a potential exposure and to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.
If an employee answers yes to any of the pre-screening questions the General Manager must:
- Arrange another employee to backfill the scheduled shifts of the impacted employees
- Contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and advise of the employees leave 3. Human Resources will issue employees pay and ROE up to the last day worked
Physical distancing (Two Meters)
Individuals are reminded to be mindful of other individuals and provide adequate space when crossing paths. Floor monitors will be onsite during peak hours to enforce physical distancing (two meters). Individuals who do not adhere to physical distancing (two meters) will be politely reminded of this policy; if they continue to disregard this policy, they will be asked to leave the club.
Entries & Exits: Entries and exits that have side by side doors have highly visible exit and entry signage. Entries and exits that have one door have highly visible signage reminding individuals to adhere to physical distancing (two meters); for example, the Fitness Class Room. During Fitness Classes, the Fitness Class Instructor will be onsite to enforce physical distancing (two meters). Individuals must enter and exit the club via the assigned door and must not linger in the area. This includes elevators at applicable locations (Lonsdale, Richmond, etc.).
Front Desk: Individuals are encouraged to have their smart phone and Fitness World App ready when they approach the Front Desk to check-in via the contactless scanner. Individuals are required sanitize hands when they enter and exit the club. Individuals will be advised to sanitize their hands at the Front Desk hand sanitization station when they check-in to
the club by employees at the Front Desk. Plexi-glass has been installed at the Front Desk to create a barrier between employees and other individuals.
Changerooms & Washrooms: Individuals are required to adhere to the signage in the changerooms and washrooms to ensure physical distancing (two meters) is maintained.
- Changeroom: Only stand in the designated area when in the changeroom. Lockers are locked out to ensure physical distancing (two meters) is maintained. When possible arrive gym ready to avoid use of the changerooms.
- Washroom: Wash hands with hot water and soap, dry hands with the air dryer or paper towel and sanitize hands with the supplies provided by the club. Only use the designated washroom and sink. Do not disregard or remove the signage indicating what washrooms or sinks are in use.
Cardio Area: Every second cardio machine has been locked out to ensure physical distancing (three meters).
Fitness Class Room: As per the BC Provincial Health Authority, all Fitness Classes have been suspended until Dec 7, 2020 and/or the order has been lifted: Venues that operate or organize other types of indoor group physical activities must suspend them temporarily while new guidance is being developed.
Entries and exits that have one door have highly visible signage reminding individuals to adhere to physical distancing (two meters); for example, the Fitness Class Room. During Fitness Classes, the Fitness Class Instructor will be onsite to enforce physical distancing (two meters). Individuals must enter and exit the club via the assigned door and must not linger in the area. They must also remain in their assigned workout station (3 x 3 meters) at all times unless collecting and returning equipment to be used for the fitness class.
Weight Rooms Area: Individuals are required to adhere to the directional, physical distancing (two meters) and stationary signage in the weight room area and must not linger in the area unless resting between sets. Individuals must workout on their own unless close proximity is required to ensure the safety of the individual when conducting an exercise.
Stretch Area (if applicable): Individuals are required to adhere to the directional, physical distancing (two meters) and stationary signage in the stretch area and must not linger in the area.
Water Fountains: Individuals are encouraged to bring their own water bottle as fountains have been locked out. Water dispensers that fill water bottles are available in some clubs.
Employee Workstations & Lunch Room: Employees must ensure physical distancing (two meters) whenever possible. This includes with other employees, members and all other individuals. If interacting with another individual, ensure there is appropriate physical distancing (two meters); if not reconfigure workstations (for example: lockout every second workstation; remove excess chairs, etc.).
There is a maximum of four employees allowed in the General Manager office at one time. If employee meetings and training exceed this, they must be held in the Fitness Class Room. There is a maximum of two employees allowed in the employee lunch room at one time. Employees are scheduled to stagger start and end times, and breaks to meet this requirement.
Personal Training Sessions
Checking In: When checking in clients for their personal training session, personal trainers must not use side by side personal trainer computer workstations. They must either use every second workstation or wait for a workstation is free to ensure physical distancing (two meters).
Conducting Sessions: Both the client and personal trainer must wear a mask when conducting and participating the personal training session. Both the client and personal trainer must maintain physical distancing (two meters) during the personal training session unless close proximity is required to ensure the safety of the client when conducting an exercise.
The occupancy limit of all clubs is based on usable square footage of the club. Fitness World calculated the occupancy limit as follows: 1 person per 100 square feet. The Front Desk checks individuals in and out to ensure the club does not exceed the occupancy limit.
Cleaning & Sanitization
Individuals are required to participate in the cleaning and sanitization of the club. Responsibilities are as follows: clean (wash) and sanitize hands when they enter and exit the club; and clean equipment and machines before and after use with disinfecting spray/wipes. Disinfecting spray/wipe stations are located throughout the club; for example, the fitness class room, weight room and stretch area. Employees conduct club cleaning every hour, specifically high touchpoints.
A third-party cleaning company conducts comprehensive club cleaning every evening. This include changerooms and washrooms, equipment and machines, high touchpoints (for example: door handles, Front Desk, lunchroom, etc.), etc. They also restock cleaning supplies for employee and member use for the following day.
Individuals must adhere to the signage in the club regarding this COVID-19 Safety Plan. Specific signage includes: • Masks: Signage is posted at the entry and exit and the Front Desk.
- Pre-Screening Questionnaire: Signage is posted at the entry and the Front Desk.
- Physical Distancing (two meters): Signage is posted at the entry and exit, Front Desk, changerooms and washrooms, cardio, fitness class room, weight room, stretch area, water fountains, employee workstations and lunchroom. Signage is highly visible and placed on the floor and walls.
- Cleaning & Sanitization (including stations): Signage is posted at the disinfecting spray/wipe stations are located throughout the club; for example, the fitness class room, weight room and stretch area.
• Hand Washing: Signage is posted at the entry and exit, the Front Desk and in the washrooms.